We’ve received a Liebster Award! (well, two of them actually)
What exactly IS a Liebster Award? I’m SO glad you asked! A Liebster Award is an award given by bloggers to other bloggers. It’s a way to recognize blogs without a huge following yet or that are just starting out. It’s also a way to give a nod to fellow bloggers that you see building something awesome. (and build up some links and website traffic at the same time.)
When nominated you are given several questions to answer on your own blog as part of your post and it is also recommended that you spread the love and nominate other bloggers as well. Sort of like chain letters back in the day, but less annoying and life threatening if you don’t comply. 😉
Our First Nomination came from Adventure At Work!
Here is their list of questions for us:
- How long have you been blogging?
We’ve had Snaps, Scribbles, and Suitcases for over a year now. We started blogging when we made the decision to travel long-term. I had been blogging a bit before on my photography website, La Vie Moments, but it was pretty sporadic. That blog started in 2012/2013.. ish.. I think..
- Can you give 11 random facts or pieces of trivia about yourself?
1. I’m a daily coffee drinker. Which isn’t really that surprising being from Seattle.
2. Labyrinth is my favorite movie – I wore out the VHS tape I watched it so many times growing up.
3. I was a musical theater major and lived in NYC for 3 years.
4. I was in an off-broadway play, which was a sketch comedy act paired with a beauty pageant .. about feet. I won. I am Miss Toeriffic #27.
5. My first solo trip was when I was 19. I flew to NYC to see Billy Joel at Madison Square Garden.
6. I don’t have my ears pierced.
7. I taught yoga for 3 years in the ViniYoga tradition
8. I can quote most episodes from seasons 1-10 of the Simpsons
9. I own all the seasons of Lost, even though the ending still pisses me off.
10. I love watching scary movies.. even though I have to turn away during the really gory parts
11. Fact about both of us, we had a Carnival themed wedding. Mostly because we wanted to play games and eat candy.
And a few fun ones just about Jake:
• He’s a HUGE Cincinnati Bengals fan. (American Football)
• He owns all of the Bond movies (except the most recent one)
• Jake is a wonderful writer and prefers to write fiction.
- What is your favorite travel story?
Favorite??! Ah! Don’t make me choose!!!
One night that stands out, I was hanging out with some backpackers on the beach in Nice, France and we were trying to communicate with a few locals that were our age. One fellow in our group spoke a little French, I spoke only a few words, and the locals spoke very little english, but I loved that it didn’t matter. We all were communicating anyway we could. A lot of gestures and using limited vocabulary to formulate a story. It was one of those nights that ran on until the sun came up. Wine, friends, and sharing moments.
- What do you love the most about blogging?
I enjoy sharing our story with others a lot, but I also love how having a blog has opened up so many doors to the travel blogging community. My hope is that as this blog grows, that we will inspire others to take big risks and see the world for themselves!
- Do you prefer to camp, stay in hostels, or travel luxuriously?
Yes? Depends on the place, time, and budget. But I enjoy them all!
- Why do you travel?
Travel is such an important way to connect to the world around you. We are so cut off from one another and I think it’s too easy to forget how the rest of the world lives, and way too easy to make assumptions about someone else’s life. Travel breaks down those barriers in ways little else can.
- What is the one country in the world you would like to visit? Why?
Russia has been top of my list for some time. Something about the people and the culture I find absolutely fascinating!
Jake’s country of choice is Ireland. In addition to seeing the gorgeous countryside, he also wants to pick up the accent.
- You are stranded on a desert island – what’s the one thing you couldn’t live without?
Oh, I know this one! Water! Then food…. Then, maybe chap stick. I confess, I hate this question…
- If money were no object, what would do you do with your life?
Is this is trick question? Travel… a lot… I think we would also have roots somewhere, but right now we’re keeping an open mind as to where that could be.
- What is your favorite dish from abroad?
I’m not sure if I have a favorite yet. One of my most memorable meals was in the Czech Republic. It was a simple potato and chicken dish of some kind. I’m not really sure what, because I couldn’t read the menu. But the potatoes were so buttery, they just fell apart in my mouth. They were SO GOOD!
- Where do you see yourself in five years time?
In five years, Jake and I will be living in our new home.. location TBD.. and travel will still be a big part of our life. My goal is to have a business that will allow us the flexibility to travel, both nationally and internationally, and take the time we want to enjoy our lives.
We can’t thank the bloggers that nominated us enough! And now it’s time for us to pay it forward.
Here are our nominees for the next Liebster Award! If you want some other travel blogs to check out:
Instructions for Nominees:
- Answer the questions below and then comment on this post with your link when you are done so I can come and check out your answers.
- In your post, link back to the blog who nominated you with a thank you and shout out.
- After completing the questions, nominate a few other bloggers with under 200 followers and give them 11 questions of your own choice.
- Notify your nominees, and provide a link to your post so that they know what to do.
AND OUR QUESTIONS FOR OUR NOMINEES:
- If you could go anywhere in the world, where would you go and why?
- Where is your next trip taking you?
- Where’s a place you’ve been that surprised you? Either good or bad, it just wasn’t what you expected.
- Who’s your favorite travel companion?
- If you could give one piece of travel advice what would it be?
- How old were you when you took your first international trip?
- Do you speak another language?
- What’s your favorite way to get to know a new city?
- What’s your favorite travel blog and why?
- Have you ever earned money on the road? If so, how?
- If you could visit any place in TIME, where and when would you go? (example: Paris, circa 1889 to see the opening of the Eiffel Tower and the World’s Fair.)
Don’t forget to link back and let me know when you’ve posted so we can check out your answers!